Your resource for fungi information

Inedible Mushrooms

Here is a list of inedible mushrooms. The mushrooms are not necessary poisonous, but useless as food.

Take in consideration that mushrooms can look different depending on the location and climate. The photos on this page may not be representable for species in your area.

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Tylopilus felleus   (Bitter Bolete)
North America, Europe
Cap 6-12 cm diamter, stem 7-10 cm tall * 2-3 cm diameter

Slightly to distinctly pink pores on the underside of the bun-shaped brown cap and a dark net on the thick stem are characteristic of this bolete. It is also distinguished by a very bitter taste.

Cap snuff- or fulvous-brown; convex or bun-shaped, at first slightly downy then smooth and dry. Flesh whitish, with pinkish tinge beneath cap cuticle, unchanging, thick and firm. Stem pallid background with brown reticulation, stout and slightly bulbous. The mushroom has no ring.

Similar species When young this is easily mistaken for Boletus edulis, except that it is very bitter and has a dark stem net.

Tylopilus felleus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.
Share link

« Previous Page 145678


If you plan to collect fungi to be eaten, misidentified mushrooms can make you sick or kill you. Do not eat mushrooms you are not 100% certain of. Use many resources, and be skeptical of your own conclusions. The site takes no responsibility for damage caused by wrong identifications. If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.