MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Amanita jacksonii   (Jackson's slender amanita)
Family
Amanitaceae
Location
North America
Dimensions
Cap 8–12 cm wide, stem 9-14 cm tall * 0.9-1.6 cm diameter
Edibility

Description
Amanita jacksonii, also known as Jackson's slender amanita is a medium to large mushroom with a brilliant red or orange cap. It grows solitary or in small clumps on soil in hardwood forests.

Cap conical to convex at first but becoming flat and lighter in colour as it matures. The surface is sticky, lacking scales, smooth with long streaks extending inward from the lighter coloured margin. Gills moderately crowded to crowded, orange-yellow to yellow-orange to yellow. They are free from the stem or slightly attached to it; yellow to orange-yellow. Stem typically slender, slightly tapering upward. The interior is hollow and has a yellow membranous ring near the apex.

Similar species Amanita jacksonii can be confused with other Amanita species such as the poisonous Amanita muscaria. The white spots on Amanita muscaria sometimes wash away during heavy rain and the mushroom then may appear to be this species.

Warning Despite the mushroom is considered edible, it should like the other species in the Amanita genus, not be consumed because of the danger of being confused with poisonous species. Only very experienced fungi foragers should consider gathering this species.

Amanita jacksonii on Wikipedia.
Amanita jacksonii on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


WARNING

If you plan to collect fungi to be eaten, misidentified mushrooms can make you sick or kill you. Never eat a mushroom that you are not 100% sure is edible. Use many resources, and be skeptical of your own conclusions. Please consider that many mushrooms take years of experience to identify reliably.

The site takes no responsibility for damage caused by ingesting poisonous mushrooms. If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.