MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Galerina marginata   (Funeral Bell)
Family
Strophariaceae
Location
Europe, North America, Asia and Australia
Dimensions
Cap 2.5-6.5 cm diameter, stem 3-9 cm tall * 0.3-0.8 cm diameter
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Galerina marginata, also known as Funeral Bell or Deadly Galerina, is a small agaric with a yellowish tan, sticky cap, similarly coloured as the gills and a ring on the stem. It grows in clusters on stumps and logs of broad-leaf trees.

Cap starts convex, sometimes broadly conical, and has edges (margins) that are curved in against the gills. It becomes later broadly convex and then flattened, sometimes developing a central elevation or umbo. The colour is honey yellow with an orangish tint, gradually transitioning to a cinnamon to brownish-orange shade. As it dries out, the colour often fades noticeably, resulting in a two-toned appearance. In its early stages, the margin may have whitish veil remnants, but it usually becomes bare and finely lined as it matures. Gills typically narrow and crowded, with a broadly adnate to nearly decurrent attachment to the stem and convex edges. They are pallid brown when young, becoming rusty brown or brownish as the spores mature. Stem more or less equal or slightly enlarged downward. The membranous ring is located on the upper half of the stem near the cap but may be sloughed off and missing in older specimens. The fragile stems are often curved. Buff at the apex and browner towards the base and usually longitudinally fibrilose. The basal mycelium is white. Spore print rusty brown.

Microscopic Features: The spores are broadly ellipsoidal, measuring 8-10 by 5-6┬Ám, and they have a textured surface with small warts.

Galerina marginata on the First Nature web site.
Galerina marginata on the mykoweb.com web site.
Galerina marginata on the MushroomExpert.Com web site.

The third photo is by Huafang and licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we strongly advise against consuming wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.