This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Omphalotus olearius, also known as the Jack o'Lantern, is an orange mushroom that typically grows in dense clusters on the decaying underground roots of oaks and olive trees. The mushroom is frequently confused with chanterelles.
initially convex, later shallow to moderately depressed, usually without a central bump; smooth; dry or slightly greasy. The colour ranges from bright brownish orange to yellowish orange, and sometimes reddish-orange or nearly brown. The margin is slightly rolled inward when young. Gills
deeper orange, decurrent (running down the stem), close and with many short-gills. The gills are luminescent when fresh. Stem
pale orange to orange, smooth, tapering and darkening towards the base. Spore print
The spores are smooth, ellipsoidal to globose, with dimensions of 5-7 µm x 4.5-6.5 µm.
on the First Nature Web site.
on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.
Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we strongly advise against consuming wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.
Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.