Your resource for fungi information
Tylopilus felleus   (Bitter Bolete)
North America, Europe
Cap 6-12 cm diameter, stem 7-10 cm tall * 2-3 cm diameter
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Tylopilus felleus, commonly known as the bitter bolete or bitter tylopilus, is a type of bolete characterized by slightly to distinctly pink pores on the underside of its bun-shaped brown cap, as well as a dark net on its thick stem. It is further distinguished by its intensely bitter taste. The mushroom forms mycorrhizal relationships with coniferous trees and can be found growing individually, sparsely, or in groups in coniferous woodland environments.

Cap colour ranges from grey-yellow to pale or walnut-brown, starting slightly downy and later developing a smooth, matte lustre. It begins as convex and flattens with maturity. The flesh is whitish with a pinkish tinge beneath the cap cuticle, remaining unchanged; it is thick and firm. Pores initially pale cream but later turning pinkish, the tubes are round, densely packed and fairly small, terminating in palid pores spaced between 1 and 2 per mm that turn coral pink as the fruitbody matures. Stem club-shaped, ranging from whitish to pale brown above, and paler brown to tan below. It features a pronounced network pattern in brown, forming wide meshes, particularly on the upper third. The base has a white basal mycelium. It has no ring. Spore print brownish pink.

Microscopic Features: Spores are subfusiform, measuring 11-15 x 4-5μm.

Tylopilus felleus on the web site.
Tylopilus felleus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we strongly advise against consuming wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.